xsl-list

Re: [xsl] measuring performance of XSLT stylesheet

2009-11-22 15:23:50
a kusa wrote:

What little I know about using "//" is that the processor
checks a whole document when a "//element" is used.  If we are
talking about a really big document (few mB) this would
definitely slow down the transformation processing time.

Right?

  No.  There is nothing telling so in XDM, and when it comes to
optimization, that does not mean anything to "theorize" about
possible behavior.  For an in-memory processor like Saxon, that
reasoning is usually right, but I think Saxon has several
optimizations for //, so maybe in some cases that could be the
opposite.

  For an XML database in general that will be the opposite (for
instance // is usually faster on eXist.)  Ok, there are not yet
an XSLT implementation supported natively by an XML database, but
I predict that is going to change soon...

  What I want to say is just: when it comes to efficiency, there
is no rule, just measurements.

  Regards,

--
Florent Georges