xsl-list

Re: [xsl] General trick for re-applying recursivly/iteratively a XSLT Script until no changes? Preferable with XSLT v1.1

2009-12-04 04:48:48
2009/12/4 Ben Stover <bxstover(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:
In general when I apply a XSLT script then one rule/template is matched at a
time (for one node).
Then the XSLT script is stopped.

Imagine for example a template which deletes (only) the current leaves of
an XML node tree. When the current leaves are removed then there are new
leaves.

Is there a general (!) trick to re-apply the script on the resulting XML doc
again?

Again: I am not searching for a specific solution but a general trick which
works for (almost) all
XSLT scripts. The processing should only stop with the re-application when
there is no difference
any more between input and output XML.

This general trick should preferably work with XSLT v1.1 (if not possible
then v2.0 is ok as well).

A couple of points here:

- XSLT 1.1 was dropped in favour of going straight to 2.0, so it's not
clear why you would want 1.1?

- You've written a wordy description with no input/output examples, so
it's hard to understand and even harder to give a precise reply

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com