xsl-list

RE: [xsl] extension functions returning temporary trees

2009-12-15 16:11:13

The way extension functions work is entirely a matter for the processor, but
I would be rather surprised if the call mechanism allowed you to return a
string containing lexical XML, and implicitly parsed that XML and turned it
into a tree of nodes. That conversion needs to be done explicitly by calling
an XML parser, either from the C# before returning from the extension, or
from the XSLT code after returning.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Newman [mailto:brian(_dot_)newman(_at_)nssplus(_dot_)com]
Sent: 15 December 2009 20:04
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] extension functions returning temporary trees

I'm trying to return the string "<root>test</root>" from a
.NET extension written in C# to the Altova XML engine running
XSLT 2.0.
What actually gets returned replaces the "<" with "& l t ;"
(without the spaces) and similarly for ">".  This, of course,
means that XSLT 2.0 can't implicitly convert the returned
value to a temporary tree.

Has anyone else seen this problem and, if so, how have they fixed it?

Your help is much appreciated, I've been banging my head
against the wall over this for the past several days.

--~--