xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Creating elements in an arbitrary position in the result document

2010-01-17 20:55:48
Thank you very much for your answer Ken.
Your code will not solve my problem, because in the template that matches
A I don't know the attribute names and values for attrC, attrD, value1,
and value2. I will find that information in the subtree of B, and B can be
anywhere in the source document. So, I guess the only solution would be to
match B and then write the new nodes right after A, but I am not able to
find documentation on how to do that. But thanks anyways.

I tried this but it didn't work:

<xsl:template match="B">
  <xsl:element name="/A/new_element">
    <xsl:attribute name="attrC">
      <xsl:value-of select="C/attrC"/>
    </xsl:attribute>
    The same for D
  </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

Source:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<A>
... <- unknown/variable amount of nodes
  <B>
    <C attrC="value1"/>
      <D attrD="value2"/>
  </B>
</A>
Result:
<A>
  <new_element attrC="value1" attrD="value2"/>
    ... <- unknown amount of elements in source between A and B
    <B>

<xsl:template match="A">
   <xsl:copy>
     <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
     <new_element attrC="value1" attrD="value2"/>
     <xsl:apply-templates select="node()"/>
   </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@*|node()"><!--identity for all other nodes-->