xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Just Heard About Symphony -- Any Feedback or Comments?

2010-01-23 13:23:42
look like not so many of CMS support ODF as authoring tool - too bad

2010/1/23 Frederick Yocum <frederick(_at_)frederickyocum(_dot_)com>:
Symphony, using php and the web servers built-in parser, presents data which
is held in Mysql database as xml and has a framework (if I am using the
right word) for managing and applying XSLT to the XML.  While the core
application is deliberately simple, there is a growing batch of extensions
that add more backend and some frontend functionality.

The team developing it are very active and there is a committed group of
users on discussion boards. If you have XSLT skills and are building small-
to medium-size Web sites it is definitely a CMS to explore.

One limitation, I think, is that while it serves up the data stored in XML
wrapper, the primary textarea editors used in symphony-cms rely on Markdown
and SmartyPants. Using extensions you can add a rich text editor --but that
could make things worse rather better:-). If the user entered data is
well-formed, you can massage it with XSLT, but that is, I think, a big if,
without an XML editor to add consistent structure to the text data users are
entering.

Fred