xsl-list

[xsl] When are <!DOCTYPE> and svg namespace references material?

2010-02-03 11:58:32

There is a concern that our SVG graphics implementation may be introducing
external reference dependencies outside our local network. An example graphic
is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd";>
<svg version="1.1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg";
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; x="0px" y="0px" width="357.553px"
height="216.893px" viewBox="0 0 357.553 216.893" enable-background="new 0 0
357.553 216.893" xml:space="preserve">

Our graphics are, for the most part, generated by Adobe Illustrator CS3 but we
are running xslt transformations against them with Saxon and viewing the
graphics with a variety of tools: Firefox, InkScape, Ai CS3, Antenna House
formatter and Saxon-PE 9.2.0.2

I have isolated my work station (no corporate network or internet) and all of
these applications work fine. But I don't know if they are trying to make an
external reference, failing and driving on, or if the <!DOCTYPE> and W3 name
space references are little more than documentation. Three of the applications,
Firefox, InkScape and Adobe CS3 care about the name of the xmlns URL. Something
other than www.w3.org trips them up. Antenna House and Saxon don't seem to
care. With the <!DOCTYPE> declaration I can reference www.w3.org as above, or
reference an internal network URL or drop the declaration all together and none
of the applications perform differently. All of this is, of course, anecdotal
data at best. It would be great to know for sure what is going on.

My question: Is there ever an attempt to make an external reference to
www.w3.org from either the <!DOCTYPE> declaration or the xmlns reference?

Thanks in advance for this clarification

Steve

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE]

Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is
intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and
may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or
it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority,
you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any
manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your
records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link
or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser:
http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com