xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSL wish list - page column gap/separator line

2010-02-11 16:56:47
On Thu, Feb 11 2010 21:51:02 +0000, john(_dot_)cavalieri(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
wrote:
I don't know if there is a current wish list for enhancements to the
XSL-FO spec --- if there is can we add semantics for a page column

The XSL 2.0 requirements document is at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20-req/

Unfortunately, the survey to which it refers closed after six months,
but you can still provide comments and feedback using the W3C public
Bugzilla [1].

gap/separator line?  Maybe it could be similar to border and have
-style, -width, and -color.  Also maybe it could include .length?

The requirements include some specific to columns [2], though it doesn't
specifically mention the column separator.

The XSL FO Subgroup is erring on the side of "publish early, publish
often", but there is not yet anything about columns in the current
Working Draft at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20/ (which I announced to
this list today).  I won't speculate on whether columns will make it
into the next WD or when that will be.

In the interim, you are welcome to make a Bugzilla entry about columns
and column separators: every chance it gets, the XSL FO Subgroup asks
for public feedback on the requirements and the WD.

There are a couple work arounds like using a background image and also
this method described on the XEP support list:
http://services.renderx.com/lists/xep-support/2202.html

A XSL 1.1 workaround/hack might be to use change bars, though you might
end up with an unwanted bar in one of the page margins.

What is the proper way to request an enhancement to the spec?

W3C Bugzilla [1].

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony(_dot_)Graham(_at_)MenteithConsulting(_dot_)com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/2008/01/xsl-fo-bugzilla.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20-req/#N66484