xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Entities in XSL (again)

2010-02-17 09:36:50

Thank you. I thought I could get the stylesheet to declare the 'missing' entity
in the xml file but that is the duty of the xml file and the parser would get
this problem before the stylesheet got it. I can just use
disable-output-escaping to put that entity in if needed on the output.
Terry
________________________________
From: Syd Bauman <Syd_Bauman(_at_)Brown(_dot_)edu>
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Sent: Wed, February 17, 2010 9:14:50 AM
Subject: Re: [xsl] Entities in XSL (again)

It's also may be worth examining why you want the 'nbsp' entity
declared for your stylesheet. I note that it is not referenced from
within the stylesheet you provided, but perhaps that was just
snippet-code, not your real program.

In any case, it can be particularly useful to use entities when
declared externally so that their values can be changed in 1 place
and be registered by both the stylesheet and the instances.

But if you're just using the entity to make recording a character you
can't type on your keyboard easier for your encoders, using " "
in the stylesheet and "&nbsp;" in the instances will work just fine.
(Presuming, of course, that 'nbsp' has been properly declared in the
instance, as George pointed out.) This is because by the time the
XSLT engine sees these, each has been boiled down to the actual
character U+00A0 (which is 1100001010100000 if using UTF-8 :-), so
they're the same.

--~--