xsl-list

[xsl] [Announce] New XSLStyle documentation environment ready for download

2010-03-02 12:57:33
Five and a half years ago I announced a documentation methodology for XSLT stylesheets, and I have (finally!) prepared a major update:

  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/#xslstyle

The XSLStyle vocabulary sits at the top-level of your XSLT stylesheet, between all of the top-level XSLT constructs, documenting each top-level construct.

XSLStyle is only scaffolding, however, as the actual paragraphs, lists, figures, tables, and other constructs are authored by you in your choice of one of three vocabularies:

  - HTML/XHTML
  - DITA
  - DocBook

You can use as much of the embedded vocabulary you need inside of the scaffolding vocabulary.

You can then format the documentation to HTML and, something new in this delivery, engage CSS stylesheets to enhance the presentation that has been rather dull (though effective!) since its release. Many thanks to Florent Georges, George Bina and Dominic Marcotte who have supplied two examples of CSS formatting of the report results.

During development of your stylesheets you can drag your stylesheet onto a browser and have the browser render the documentation as it stands. Then, as you edit your XSLT stylesheet, you can simply save the file and refresh the browser in order to review your updated documentation. When complete you can invoke an XSLT process on your XSLT stylesheet to create standalone HTML documentation.

XSLStyle implements a set of "stylesheet writing rules" that I have for myself, which you are welcome to use, or hack out, or ignore, or augment with your own rules. Such rules include mandatory documentation on all template rules, functions and all parameters to them.

All stylesheet fragments in your XSLT stylesheet import/include tree are included in the one generated HTML file, and at the end of the file is an alphabetized index hyperlinked to the declaration of every named top-level construct. This helps one find where globals are defined when using very large import/include trees.

When I am contracted for XSLT development, I deliver my end results complete with the formatted documentation. The one HTML file includes tables, summaries, references to diagrams, and then the actual stylesheet constructs. When using Florent's stylesheet, the Oxygen icons for constructs are presented next to each declaration (used with permission, thanks George!).

Feedback is welcome! For those already using XSLStyle, this is a major release and there have been a number of changes behind the scenes, though your stylesheets do not have to (should not have to!) change. Please let me know if you find I've introduced any problems.

Input is welcome! If anyone develops nice visual CSS presentations for XSLStyle to include in future deliveries, I would consider including them.

If you have questions, please be careful to ask them off-list when you do your reply.

I hope this is helpful.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:      after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19
XSLT/XQuery training:         San Carlos, California 2010-04-26/30