xsl-list

Re: [xsl] initial template parameters

2010-03-18 09:40:23
more portable you can have a simple stylesheet with just a named template
that initialises its parameters from global parameters and then xsl:imports
the original stylesheet. this means you need a wrapper stylesheet for any
top level named template that you want to use, but most stylesheets don't
have _so_ many choices for initial named template.

Yes, I though of this solution too, but seems like too much trouble.

About stylesheets not having many entry point choices, I think this
limitation helps to enforce that stylesheets have a single purpose,
while they could have many purposes based on related functionality.
Like object-oriented languages, you can call a class constructor
passing parameters (global parameters in XSLT) and then call a method
passing other parameters (initial template parameters).
--
Max

more portable you can have a simple stylesheet with just a named template
that initialises its parameters from global parameters and then xsl:imports
the original stylesheet. this means you need a wrapper stylesheet for any
top level named template that you want to use, but most stylesheets don't
have _so_ many choices for initial named template.
The only solution I can think of is using extension methods to pull
the parameters from the environment, something like this:

<xsl:param name="color" value="(ext:get-parameter('color'), 'red')[1]"
as="xs:string"/>

David