xsl-list

RE: [xsl] The output of evaluating an XSLT transform is the same regardless of the order in which output elements are evaluated. Right?

2010-04-13 06:33:42
Yesterday I wrote:

Is this statement true or false:

  XSLT elements that produce output can be
  evaluated in any order.

Michael Kay responded:

Well, your terminology is wrong. I guess you are referring to XSLT
instructions; they don't "produce output", they are evaluated to return a
result value.

Hi Michael, I carefully avoided using the word "instruction" or "statement"
because on March 24 on the xml-dev list you wrote:

   Declarative programming doesn't use "statements" or
   "instructions". It describes the relationship of the output to the input.

QUESTION #1

Why do you now say "XSLT instructions"?

QUESTION #2

Michael, I think that I read this in your latest book (around page 930, I
think):

   The elements in an XSLT document can be executed in any order, even in
parallel.

Yesterday I thought that I had it all figured out: the in-memory result tree
can be constructed in any order, even in parallel. However, from yesterday's
how the elements in an XSLT document can be executed in any order, even in
parallel?

/Roger