xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSL Dominos

2010-05-28 09:20:53
On 28/05/2010 15:09, Nick Leaton wrote:
In reverse order, on the fn: - good point, I'll remove them.

On the apply templates versus call, I've never been able to get my
head round the apply-templates bit, particular because of the need to
use a mode. I personally read apply-templates as, "something happens
here, but I don't know what" !!

Call templates makes it explicit as to what happens. My personal take
on that bit.

But as I say since it means you are not using the main control construct of the language, the program needs a lot more code (and is a lot less flexible, template application typically automaticaly recururses through element structure, whereas passing a message parameter you need to do it by hand 9and if the input isn't exactly as you expect it fails, as you've found)

On the problem I'm having, I have put in trace output, to push out
$message at each stage.

value-of doesn't tell you what you need to know as it removes the structure

"hello" but if they were in $message they would need very different paths.
<xsl:message select="$message"/>

would reveal more but still won't show you the difference between an element trade and a document node with element trade as child.

Try putting as="element(trade)" on xsl:param that you think should get trade elements (and similarly other xsl;param)

David

> It is output correctly, however, the value-of
selections from $message/ give the value, or don't give the value
depending on whether or not its the compound xsl or the single stage
xsl

Nick