xsl-list

[xsl] Asynchronous transformation in a (Java) Web app

2010-09-11 09:02:56
Hey list,

while asynchronous processing is a broad subject, I hope my question
is not off-topic as it applies directly to XSLT.

The scenario is pretty simple, and I guess not uncommon: user uploads
a (potentially heavy) file, then XSLT transformation(s) process it,
and the result is presented back to the user. The program runs as a
Java Servlet web application.

The problem is, that the transformations can take quite some time, up
to one minute for example. Therefore I started looking into ways of
running them asynchronously, not blocking the servlet and presenting
the result later.
I guess I need some kind of thread-based subsystem to run and
transform in the background, but my knowledge ends pretty much there.

Any advice on approaches/techniques or specific tools/libraries would
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Martynas
semantic-web.dk