xsl-list

[xsl] Foreign namespaces in XSLT atttributes

2010-10-13 09:23:13

I'm would like to find out if adding my own namespace'd attributes to xslt is valid. It appears to work (in that I am not getting errors) but I cant find any reference that says its allowed.

Example:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; xmlns:xmlsh="http://www.xmlsh.org/test";>
<xsl:template xmlsh:type="element" match="element()">
</xsl:template>

The attribute "xmlsh:type" seems to be properly ignored using saxon (good).
Is this a defined behaviour or does it "just happen to work"?

Context: I'm experimenting with using XSLT as a "database" of xslt elements and do processing on the XSLT to extract specific elements.
Using my own attributes seems a clean way to do that.

--
David A. Lee
dlee(_at_)calldei(_dot_)com

--