xsl-list

[xsl] Performance tips to speed up multiple transforms

2010-11-05 13:12:59

Evening all

I'm transforming around 500 individual XML log files - ~250MB worth - into 4
output files.  Each log file contributes to all 4 output files.  At present,
I'm running a Saxon transform within VBScript with one XSLT file for each log
file.  It processes around 2 log files per second.  I guess it's slow 'cos I'm
shelling out to a hidden command box every time I transform a log file(open a
shell, start java, open the Saxon .jar file, run the transform, append the 4
results to the 4 'master' output files, close everything, repeat ).  It works,
but I guess it could be significantly more efficient.

What would the smart person be looking at to speed up the process?  Write the
whole script in Java?  .NET?  C++... Or just make a Transform 'do' the whole
thing?