xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Controlling namespace in output

2010-12-16 17:37:20
At 2010-12-16 18:27 -0500, Peter Desjardins wrote:
I've a few articles on controlling namespaces in output but I could
use a little advice. I'm trying to create DocBook 5.0 output. My
processor is Saxon HE 9.2.1.1.

I added the DocBook namespace to the root element of my output.

Fine ... so you've created the document element in the DocBook namespace, but remember your source elements are in no namespace.

Why do its children have null namespaces (xmlns="")?

Because you copied them from the source tree and the elements in the source tree are not in any namespace.

How can I prevent them from having explicit namespaces?

Don't copy them, transform them. You have to transform the input element that is in no namespace into an element in the DocBook namespace with the same local name. Then the output serialization will know that no namespace declaration is needed because the namespace declaration on the document element is in scope.

Is that enough to tell you what is wrong, or do you need to see an example of how that transformation would be done?

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . . Ken

Here are the source, stylesheet, desired output, and actual output.
Thanks for your help!

Peter

**********************************
Source XML:

<root>
  <title>A Section Title</title>
  <para>Hello</para>
</root>

**********************************
XSLT 2.0 stylesheet:

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>
        <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>
        <xsl:template match="root">
<xsl:element name="section" namespace="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";>
                        <xsl:attribute name="version">5.0</xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name="xml:id">myIdentifier</xsl:attribute>
                        <xsl:copy-of select="*"/>
                </xsl:element>
        </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

**********************************
Desired output:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<section xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0"
xml:id="myIdentifier"
  <title>A Section Title</title>
  <para>Hello</para>
</section>

**********************************
Actual output:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<section xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0"
xml:id="myIdentifier">
   <title xmlns="">A Section Title</title>
   <para xmlns="">Hello</para>
</section>

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com