xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Aligning Parallel Columns

2011-01-15 11:20:36
On 2011-01-15 17:43, Michael Kay wrote:
OK, let's see whether it can be done if the name attribute are
randomized, so that you can't rely on them for sorting. Is that what
you're looking for?

Yes, what I was looking for is that the order of the name attribute wouldn't
be important, so that inserted paragraphs in the translation need not
get a carefully constructed id that sorts correctly.

This immediately raises the question of what happens if one sequence is
(A, Z, B) and the other is (A, X, B) - what order do Z and X appear in?

For the purpose I have in mind, the order in that case is not really
important. They could even be lined up...

I think I would tackle it as follows. Call a para an anchor para if
there is a para in the other list with the same name. For each anchor
para in the first list, output a table row containing it and its twin
from the other list. Then output all the non-anchor paras from the first
list up to the next anchor, then all the non-anchor paras from the
second list up to the next anchor, then the next anchor pair and so on.

I will try the solution along the lines you describe. (after cooking
dinner... :-)

Jeroen.