xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Advice on dictionary conversion

2011-01-19 13:15:02
Ciarán
If you would make available your letter D Word file I would be interesting in
taking a small crack at it. Everything being in normal may make it difficult to
do as most of the Word to XML stuff I have done had lots of styles so you could
get a handle in the structure.

Terry
________________________________
From: Ciarán Ó Duibhín <ciaran(_at_)oduibhin(_dot_)freeserve(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Sent: Wed, January 19, 2011 1:01:15 PM
Subject: Re: [xsl] Advice on dictionary conversion

Grateful thanks to all who responded to my enquiry on this subject.  I am
encouraged to persevere.

Several people advised to do the conversion as a series of small steps, and I
will keep that in mind.  However, I am developing my conversion on a non-final
version of a part of the dictionary (the letter D), so it must be re-runnable
on

the other letters, as well as on the final version of D!

I will see how far I can get with a simple series of  "template match"
operations, before I think about anything more advanced.  Whatever can't be
done

that way may be feasible manually; and in any case I expect to do manual
tidying-up of odd cases and data errors which would not be covered by a
programmed conversion.

Although there are plenty of webpages about XSLT, it is difficult to find the
information you want.  For example, I spent most of a day putting this together:
  <xsl:template match="my_element[@font-weight='bold' and
contains(preceding-sibling::node()[1], '=')]">
But I suppose there are a few things in it that I will not need to learn a
second time.

There were some interesting comments on the initial doc/rtf to xml conversion.

tried several, and here are some figures, for the letter D.
  .doc file 772 KB
  Word save as rtf  711 KB
  Word save as txt  286 KB
  Word 2003 save as xml  4592 KB
  Novosoft rtf-to-fo  2624 KB  (http://www.rtf-to-xml.com/)
  Walter rtf-to-xml  400 KB  (http://thewalter.net/stef/software/rtfx/)
  Walter rtf-to-xml with -p parameter  536 KB
  Yawc doc-to-xml  433 KB  (http://www.yawcpro.com/)
Unfortunately (for me) the Walter and Yawc conversions both discarded
small-caps

info.  I haven't noticed anything important discarded in the Novosoft
conversion, but it is still a lot smaller than the MS one.

Incidentally, the original Word files make no use of styles, but are all in
"normal".

Many thanks again,
Ciarán Ó Duibhín

--~--