xsl-list

Re: [xsl] translating and commenting punctuation [XSLT1.0]

2011-02-24 06:15:21
On 24 February 2011 11:59,  <pankaj(_dot_)c(_at_)thomsondigital(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am trying to translate "," in text to new line while keeping a copy of
it in comment. Some thing like below:

XML
===

<mytext>xxxx, yyyy, zzzzz, ttttt</mytext>

Output Required
==========

<mytext>xxxx<!--,-->
 yyyy<!--,-->
 zzzzz<!--,-->
 ttttt</mytext>

XSLT
====

   <xsl:template match="mytext">
       <xsl:copy>
           <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
          <xsl:value-of select="translate(.,',','&#x000A;')"/>
       </xsl:copy>
   </xsl:template>

This does the trick just to get hard enter but of course do not generate
the commented comma. I tried of using concat() along with translate but
that doesn't seems to be working. Shall I need to write another rule for
commenting the commas. I do not wish to do that as this is required for
this element only.

Any clue will be great to get this done. Comment is required just for
repurposing.

xsl:analyze-string is what you want for this.

If you intend to process the commas later, you will be better off
using markup rather than comments, so instead of <!--,--> use
something like <whatever text=","/>

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com