xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Variable Substitution In A Select Statement

2011-05-24 08:22:16
On 24/05/2011 14:07, Raymond Lillibridge wrote:
xsl-list Members,

Using Saxon-PE 9.3.0.5J from Saxonica (XSLT 2.0):

The following template matches on the specified @id in $FileA.  Just what I
need.

<xsl:apply-templates select="$FileA/book/level1[2]/level2[4]/section[2]/@id" />

However, if I have a variable, $Axpath_new, valued at "book/level1[2]/level
2[4]/section[2]", the following template returns nothing:

<xsl:apply-templates select ="$FileA/$Axpath_new/@id" />

Testing a multitude of methods, I could never get a variable to work in the
select statement.
After much studying about how to make the template work properly, I read that I
could try using the extension function node-set().  Further research stated
that my free version of Saxon9 doesn't include those extensions but the
Saxon9pe version does.  So, I purchased a copy of Saxon9pe and installed it
yesterday.  (Also, I believe I read that if I was using XSLT 2.0, I wouldn't
need to use the node-set() function.)

Any way, it seems like such a simple thing but I'm at a loss, and I'm asking
for your kind assistance.

actually having evaluation at run time is quite a big thing 9and not available in most languages) as it means having all the parsing machinery available which is not normally in the compiled code.
If you have  a string  x with value " + 2" in C or java or fortran or ...
you can't just go 3 x  and have it expand to 3 + 2 and evaluate to 5.

However for some reason it's quite common to expect that xslt has this feature.

to use saxon:evaluate you need to declare the saxon extension namespace then something like
saxon:evaluate(concat('$FileA,'/',$Axpath_new.'/@id'))
ie build up the xpath you want to evaluate as a single string then pass it to the function.

You didn't say why you are needing evaluation though, are you picking up the xpaths from an external file? otherwise it may be better to store
the sequence of nodes selected by
book/level1[2]/level 2[4]/section[2]
in a variable, rather than the string "book/level1[2]/level 2[4]/section[2]"
then you could just do $variable/'id
to select the id attributes.

David

David