xsl-list

Re: [xsl] transforming MRSS

2011-08-07 21:18:41
"using a URI naming scheme direction" -> "using a URI naming scheme directly [in the name]"

At 2011-08-07 21:15 -0500, I wrote:
At 2011-08-08 03:25 +0200, Dirk wrote:
why not just access a tag named <media:group> with "media:group"?

To prevent wars between competing factions regarding who "owns" the prefix "media:".

The namespace redirection associates an arbitrary prefix with a URI string that *can* be owned. There are already globally-managed URI schemes.

To keep XML compatible with SGML at a time when it was very important to be compatible with SGML, using a URI naming scheme direction wasn't possible. The redirection scheme that was decided is possible to use with minimal impact (reserving the use of the colon in a name).

Naming things on a global scale isn't straightforward. I think namespaces are good (though I know many people don't like them). That some people don't find them "easy" doesn't mean they are evil. They solve an important problem. Your offhand proposal does not.

No doubt your post will restart the namespace permathread, but I felt compelled to spell out the naissance of namespaces. It wasn't frivolous as your post implied.

I hope this helps.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com