xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Onion-skin overriding stylesheet

2011-09-07 04:34:35
On 07/09/2011 09:50, Jesper Tverskov wrote:

As far as I know, no matter what a stylesheet looks like, we can
always import and override it in another stylesheet. But if the
original stylesheet is mostly one big template with many xsl:for-each,
we will have to recreate most of the original stylesheet in the
overriding stylesheet, and that is not that attractive.
Which is a very good reason for not using that coding style.

Is the onion-skin approach to stylesheet making so attractive, that we
should make it a habit always to prepare for it, should we so to speak
"override" optimize our stylesheets to make them as easy as possible
to override (to maintain, to customize)?

Yes. Stylesheets should consist of lots of small templates and functions, to give maximum potential for evolution and reuse.

Michael Kay
Saxonica