xsl-list

Re: [xsl] What problem are you trying to solve (was Re: [xsl] why no indent here)

2011-12-13 09:34:50
Dear Wolfgang,

On 12/13/2011 1:41 AM, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
my question was triggered by what I saw and (thought that I) understood
about the Tamara blog effort, the way the XML input is produced. I have
no experience with Symphony or anything similar, but I feel that
it's maintainability and adaptability for multiple backends via
varied XSLT transformations isn't necessary in this case. What else?
Was our user needlessly goaded into using this tool chain?

Who knows?

Yet, not only are we not in a position to judge, this probably isn't for us to decide in any case. (This may not stop us from having our thoughts or even expressing opinions.)

(Yes, learning a new tool with some relatively simple project is a good
idea, but I don't think that this applies in this case.)

Probably not, but you framed your question generally. My point is that generally, things are always different. :->

Actually, I  had it on the tip of my fingers to suggest he just write this
thing in HTML, with a sprinkle of CSS, and all his worries soon be over.

Indeed they might. Without more information we can only speculate. (Even with more information, we can probably only speculate.)

But this is a list about XSL, and we can only do our best to address questions as they are posed, while staying on topic.

I thought your meta-question was both interesting enough and relevant enough to be worth answering, so I did. But basically where we're ending up is that a list like this one, which is necessarily limited in scope, can't be a forum for completely open-ended consulting. Which isn't to say that that isn't what people sometimes need.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez