xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Creating an Index Page that references multiple page numbers using XSLT/FOP . Final output is PDF

2012-01-15 15:00:48
Even if you do uniquely identify these items, if there are two references on the same printed page you will get an index like:

  3, 3, 5, 6, 7

... rather than:

  3, 5-7

The <fo:page-number-citation> is exactly and only that: a citation. It does not create page ranges and does not remove duplicate page numbers.

If <fo:page-number-citation> was satisfactory for a general-purpose index, then the designers would not have created <index-page-citation-list>.

Unless you are, perhaps, putting one item on each page with no risk of duplicates, the XSLT has no idea where page breaks are. Thus, you can end up with multiple references to an item on a single printed page, causing the duplicates in the index that your users likely will not accept.

If FOP does not support <index-page-citation-list>, then I suggest you use the two-pass methodology I cited in my earlier message that does use <fo:page-number-citation> in the first pass and reduces this to unique page numbers and ranges before the second pass uses the massaged page numbers.

I hope this helps.