xsl-list

Re: [xsl] faster complicated counting

2012-03-01 08:14:59
Thank you *so* much to Alex, Liam, Wendell, Emmanuel, Wolfgang, and
David (off-list) for your replies. I am sure one of these suggestions
will do the trick.

AM> I wonder if [this] is really worth the memory
AM> given the logic to count it couldn't not be that intensive.

AM> ... Is the memory used to determine this worth the time it takes
AM> to calculate this information on the fly, what the reason for
AM> storing these numbers in your xml?

Ha! Excellent questions. In truth, my original desire was to
calculate them on the fly. But the counting algorithm I came up with
(i.e., the one I posted, and the one I hope to improve with all these
suggestions) was *so* slow I had to switch to decorating the tree
ahead of delivery time just so that these numbers don't have to be
calculated on the fly. If I get to the point where calculating all
the line numbers needed for a book of poetry is measured in fractions
of a second instead of in minutes, I'll go back to calculating on the
fly.