xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Haskell programmer's rant about xslt

2012-04-18 05:45:41
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Emmanuel Bégué <medusis(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
2012/4/18 Alan Painter <alan(_dot_)painter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>:
But verbiage such as "your bastard child of a language" has no utility
whatsoever and certainly no place in polite discourse.

I would suggest giving this guy's opinions no further attention.

The delivery method is in poor taste, yes--but does that justify
ignoring the message altogether? (For one guy upset enough to write a
blog post there are probably many others who curse in silence.)

sounds like he had a bad day ... we all have em (and yes i've had em
with XSLT) especially debugging poor code in any language.

as programmers we are asked to code in a lot of different languages
these days. I would have hoped this drift reflected the fact that
certain languages are good for some things (DSL) but thats not the
case. Also think about the tool changing whenever hopping from one or
another (or trying to fit it all into something like eclipse ... sure
I fit it all into emacs but thats 'nother story alltogether).

programmer frustration is directly related to how productive your are
and how much fun you have doing it. If you are having no fun and not
being productive i've seen the best of developers crack.

As for XSLT ... if the poster is debugging XSLT v1.0 code (which I
suspect he is) then the guy needs to move to this decade.

I agree that XSLT is a love/hate language ... it reminds me of regex
in that its a self selecting power tool, that isthose who use it well
tend to be pretty good programmers (of course I would be saying
that!).

Loving XSLT till the end, Jim Fuller