xsl-list

Re: [xsl] saxon:evaluate() in schematron

2012-05-22 10:41:23
Hi,

Rick's advice is always excellent, but any good advice can be applied badly. And I don't find that the requirement for portability always trumps everything. (In fact sometimes it doesn't trump anything.) In Schematron (we are OT), maintainability and extensibility are often more important: it depends on the use case, I think.

Then too, Rick's post is in reaction to an extreme example, and explicitly allows for three exceptions, including "... where it is more convenient to express some very convoluted XPath access as a function because of information hiding (rather than abstraction) reasons." I think Matt has one of these.

As for "wean[ing] ourselves of the for-loop mentality", I dare say Matt has done that long ago. :-) In fact, we have to do more XQuery-like for-looping here to do without the stylesheet function than we would using it.

Nevertheless I'm grateful for the link, and seeing a solution without a function shows we have choices.

Cheers,
Wendell