xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Diagram of XPath axes

2012-05-24 17:07:14
Hi Mike,

In teaching, I have used precisely the same approach as Ken, comprehensively dividing the document into the self, ancestor, descendant, following and preceding axes, all in relation to "me".

It is also worth pointing out, however, that there is some potential confusion, in that ancestors do appear "before me" in document order, while descendants appear "after me" in document order, even though (as Ken and others have noted), ancestors aren't yet done when I'm done, and descendants are all done before I'm done.

The human brain being what it is (rather messy), we then mix up the definition of document order with the specification of the different axes, and there we are. Yet the concepts are clean, if we allow them to be.

So yes, the preceding axis reaches nodes that occur *entirely* before me; and that necessarily excludes ancestors. By the same token, not all nodes before me in document order will precede me -- at least as long as I have an ancestor (which all nodes must, except document nodes).

Cheers,
Wendell