xsl-list

Re: [xsl] How do I search ancestors in the output tree?

2012-08-31 14:54:19
At 2012-08-31 19:32 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
How do I search ancestors in the output tree? (As opposed to searching ancestors in the input tree).

As Chris said, you cannot do this.

One reason is that the processor is allowed not to keep the output tree in memory. XSLT is designed so that the processor can instantly serialize an element's start tag with all of its attribute specifications once the element's content begins being output.

Thus, the output tree wouldn't be available to you to query. There is no "going back" in order to change something or query something in the result tree.

I hope this helps.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm