xsl-list

Re: [xsl] doc('http://blah')

2012-09-06 10:45:12
At 2012-09-06 14:30 +0100, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
Sorry I haven't got my reference materials to hand.

Can I access the output of an http requestl via the XSLT 2.0 document
function and in document('http://blah";) where http://blah is an XML
yielding http request.

Yes, and this has been available since 1999 with XSLT 1.0. I have linked from my web site to a conference paper titled "Simple Worldwide Aggregation Using XSLT":

  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/#reading

It describes how companies licensing our training material maintain a private XML web page on their web sites with information regarding their deliveries of our courses. Every Monday I run an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet that goes around the world aggregating the information from those pages into our schedule page. They don't have to tell me they've changed any information, they just update the private page.

And the 1.0 stylesheets implement a fall-back when the connection to the web page fails (though this scheme involves using an extension to write the last successfully-retrieved page to a local file).

Companies that have distributed sources of information could do the same thing: each group maintains their own XML fragment with their own information at a reserved web address and the aggregation pulls it all together when needed.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL and code list classes in Europe -- Oct 2012
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm