xsl-list

Re: [xsl] better way to get the path to a node?

2012-12-01 22:48:58
On Sat, 2012-12-01 at 21:08 -0500, Graydon wrote:
On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 06:50:12PM -0500, Liam R E Quin scripsit:
[...]
You might want to investigate using an XQuery implementation that
builds an index to the documents - even if you just use it to generate
temporary documents that you then use to help your XSLT
transformations.

Which is actually what I'm doing -- use BaseX to load the ~4.5
GB of date I need to search, use XQuery to build a ~100 MB file of
locations and then use that file to search against when generating the
report.

100 MBytes is still a fairly large document to use with XSLT.

The search time seems to be roughly 30 seconds plus one second per
megabyte of "find stuff in here and check it" content.

Dealing with "no, that isn't going in memory" volumes of XML has
certainly been a learning experience!

Yes - people find the same thing with almost any data structure.

On the other hand, adding more physical memory can be an effective way
to make things go faster...

Liam