xsl-list

Re: [xsl] problem defining param value

2013-01-09 09:51:07
Dear Joni,

I was answering your first post when I saw Ken's answer (same but
better phrased) came in first. I concur with his suggestion that you
figure out how to write diagnostic information, either using
xsl:message or some other means such as comments in the output. This
is a very useful technique that will serve you in all kinds of ways.

Beyond that, it appears that your problem is on two levels. One is
setting the variables and writing the logic in XSLT you need to do so.
The other is how parameters are being passed into the system. Your
snippets of code show a non-standard vocabulary -- for some sort of
shell application, using XML format -- for doing this. Getting this to
work isn't an XSLT problem, and even if it were, we don't really have
the information to debug it.

The key is thus to separate the problems. If you know your XSLT --
running outside your shell -- is correct, then the problem must be in
the shell. Spilling the diagnostics can document this fact for someone
who's in a position to debug it. (As you suggested the problem there
could be trivial; we just have no way of knowing.)

Again, this is just a long-winded way of saying what Ken just said.

Cheers,
Wendell

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM, G. Ken Holman