xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XSLT 3.0 Output and Serialization: Native XSLT message and error listeners?

2013-01-21 15:41:55
XProc does (as I understand - I've only recently started using
Calabash) at least already provide some means to process xsl:message
output - as stated in the spec at http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/:

 it is common for all xsl:message output from the XSLT component to
appear on the error output port

- it's unclear from this whether xsl:message output is somehow
converted to well-formed XML by the XProc processor (I'm guessing it
should be), and perhaps XProc 2 should address this - but given my
unfamiliarity with XProc I'm not quite ready to pursue this at the
moment.

However, instead of an XProc solution, I was rather hoping that with
streaming XSLT there would be a neat way to bind an XSLT 3.0 template
to the message stream of one or more transforms. My standard XSLT
test-harness exploits multi-threaded processing - providing a
real-time count of errors and messages but results are only merged
once all tests are complete. I feel it would be much more elegant,
portable and maintainable if more of this test-harness could be coded
in XSLT instead of the current mix of C# and Java.

Thanks

Phil