xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Modes - Necessary Construct or Syntactic Sugar

2013-03-19 04:19:35

On 19/03/2013 08:58, Ihe Onwuka wrote:
Suppose there was a genuine use case for modes. By genuine I mean the
transform requires me to process the same nodes more than once and in
different ways.

Can I do this without using modes.

The first thing that comes to mind is creating an separate stylesheet
for the "2nd mode" and applying it's template rules via apply-imports.
No, this doesn't work. If you only have one mode, then apply-templates selecting a given node N will always select the same template rule. Modes are the only way you can have two different rules that apply to the same node in different circumstances.

Michael Kay
Saxonica