xsl-list

Re: [xsl] transforming flat structure with xsl 2.0 grouping

2013-05-19 17:27:44
At 2013-05-19 17:56 -0400, Charlie 0 wrote:
I have an extremely flat structure exported from Framemaker (not structured). The elements are created from style names and the structure is completely flat. Just about everything is a sibling of everything else.

I am transforming this flat structure to a proprietary content model (DTD). The entire project consists of a lot of group. Most of which I have a handle on. However there is aspect I could use some help with.

I have an XML input structure that something like this:

<XML>
<Warning>
</Warning>
<Graphic>
    <IMAGE  href="icon-30.gif"/>
</Graphic>
<WarnHazText>Cleaning solvent </WarnHazText>
<WarnHazText>Wear eye</WarnHazText>
<ProcStep>All weldel.</ProcStep>
<Warning>
</Warning>
<Graphic>
    <IMAGE  href="icon-30.gif"/>
</Graphic>
<WarnHazText>Cleaning solvent </WarnHazText>
<WarnHazText>Wear eye</WarnHazText>
<HazText>CARC </HazText>
<HazText>ALWAYS follow /HazText>
<Note></Note>
<HazText>When using a torch</HazText>
<ProcStep>All weldel.</ProcStep>
</XML>

Or it could look like this:

<XML>
<ProcStep>All weldel.</ProcStep>
<Warning>
</Warning>
<Graphic>
    <IMAGE  href="icon-30.gif"/>
</Graphic>
<WarnHazText>Cleaning solvent </WarnHazText>
<WarnHazText>Wear eye</WarnHazText>
<HazText>CARC </HazText>
<HazText>ALWAYS follow /HazText>
<ProcStep>All weldel.</ProcStep>
</XML>

What output would you like from both of those inputs? You don't show that ... you only show your code.

The problem with trying to "fix" the templates you have is that you may have started out on the wrong foot. It is difficult from your prose description to deduce what end structures you want from the above when the transformation is done. Knowing what you want from what you have (and if you have further examples, all the better) would help a volunteer understand the requirement better.

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com

Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about |
Legal business disclaimers:    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |