xsl-list

Re: [xsl] codepoints-to-string for new line

2013-09-08 15:21:36
On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam(_at_)w3(_dot_)org> wrote:
On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 01:04 +0200, Heiko Niemann wrote:

The right way for an editor to show indenting of XML documents is
visually, not by changing the text of the document.

Nicely said. Sadly, whilst I use an XML editor that does things 'the
right way', I still have to use XSLT with lexical preservation
features to add the pointless (and potentially harmful) indentation
characters when I need to share my XML with others (to avoid their own
pretty print systems messing this up - see below).

To compound this issue, editors still don't have pretty print systems
that properly indent new-line attributes and their multi-line contents
(I'm more than happy to be corrected on this rather sweeping
statement).