xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Specification of a transform.

2013-09-09 06:35:03
On 09/09/13 11:09, Michael Kay wrote:
I'm not sure if I've interpreted you correctly, but Phil's reply
seems to interpret your "no hierarchical simple relationship" as the
key phrase here, interpreting it as meaning that a multi-phase
transformation is needed.

Assume either way, for a simple case, assume not necessary, i.e.
could be done reasonably easily with an xslt 1.0 transform.

In other words, I think Phil is assuming that your "no hierarchical
simple relationship" is equivalent to saying that in terms of Jackson
Structured Programming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_structured_programming

there is a "structure clash" between the input and output schemas;
and he follows JSP by recommending:

"If a structure clash is found, it is usually resolved by splitting
the program into two parts, using an intermediate data structure to
provide a common structural framework with which the two program
parts can communicate."

MK showing has background <grin/>
I emailed Phil (off list) stating I don't think this addresses
the 'requirement'? It breaks the problem down, but leaves
me with the 'how to specify input to intermediate' which may
be easier, but still requires specification?

However, there are other parts of your problem statement where I
simply don't know what you are talking about. Where do "literals"
come into it, for example?

A simple case to state that the transform needs to add content
which is not within the source XML.

regards

--
Dave Pawson