xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Any students looking for an interesting project?

2013-10-04 07:04:28
On 10/3/13 9:06 AM, Michael Kay wrote:
On 3 Oct 2013, at 12:30, Michael Sokolov wrote:

One of my colleagues has written a code coverage plugin for Saxon; he calls it
"tectura."  It counts up the number of times different lines of an XSLT file
are executed. I think this empirical approach could get you a quick answer to the problem
without the need for deep analysis.  He has been planning to release the package as open
source, but I don't think he has done that yet -- still I'm sure you could whip something
up, and I bet your users would appreciate it, too.

The -TP option on the transform command line gives you this, but at the
granularity of templates/functions, not individual lines of code. It gives the
timings as well as the counts.

Oh, that's very helpful - I wasn't aware. I kept trying to promote the idea of counting by logical unit, which seems more natural, but the line-oriented counting fits nicely with the Java code coverage tool we use (cobertura) and allows us to combine statistics from Java and XSLT.

-Mike