xsl-list

Re: [xsl] Re: xhtml via xslt failure

2013-12-17 16:30:47

Learner: the tests for preceding or following sibling 'author'
elements will only work within the context of children of 'book'
elements, such as the 'author' elements. Evaluated in the context of
the 'book', you never have 'author' element siblings at all (by
design), so these tests always return false.

The xml file is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Edited by XMLSpy®, taken from http://www.w3schools.com-->
<?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl" href="xstylesheetexample.xslt" ?>
<bookstore>
        <book category="WEB">
                <title lang="en">XQuery Kick Start</title>
                <author>James McGovern</author>
                <author>Per Bothner</author>
                <author>Kurt Cagle</author>
                <author>James Linn</author>
                <author>Vaidyanathan Nagarajan</author>
                <year>2003</year>
                <price>49.99</price>
        </book>
        <book category="WEB">
                <title lang="en">Learning XML</title>
                <author>Erik T. Ray</author>
                <year>2003</year>
                <price>39.95</price>
        </book>
</bookstore>

Perhaps my description was erroneous, but my understanding of the
structure of this xml file is that the element 'author' for "Per..."
is an expression "following-sibling" for the preceding element
'author' for "James...". Is it wrong to conclude that the elements
'author' are classified as sibling elements for the book title "xquery
kick start"?

I hope that helps.

Thanks, application of the example produces:

                                ,
                        James Linn
                                 and
                        Vaidyanathan Nagarajan</p>

The stage is see whether xslt offers css-type capability to apply
formatting based upon certain conditions, in this case changing the
block-level line breaks to in-line span-level formatting for >1
sibling elements. Excuse me for more reading!