xsl-list

RE: [xsl] XSLFO block-container and how to flow text around it

2013-12-19 10:51:59
The footer solution worked with a small adjustment to the content that appears
first on the first pages body. Tried what Tony Graham suggested. It did not
work. When I have time to play I'll give his second suggestion a try and test
flow-map.

Thanks for your suggestions Ken and Tony.

Mario

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Graham [mailto:tgraham(_at_)mentea(_dot_)net]
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 1:26 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLFO block-container and how to flow text around it

On Wed, December 18, 2013 7:32 pm, Mario Madunic wrote:
I have a requirement where there is a block of text at the bottom of
the first page's body above the footer. The header, footer, and body
each have borders around them and a space around 0.25in between the
header border bottom and body border top and the footer border top and
body bottom border.

Instead of placing the text as part of the first page's footer, I used
a block-container and gave it the x and y positions to place it at the
bottom of the first page's body. At the moment body text is not
flowing onto the following page once it meets the block-container but
continuing through it. Which attribute(s) and value(s) can I use to
force the body content to flow around the block-container?

You may get the result you want by using 'absolute-position="fixed"'
rather than 'absolute-position="absolute"', but the spec is murky about what
the difference means in practice for your situation.  It says "Absolutely
positioned areas are taken out of the normal flow." [3], whereas 'xsl-fixed'
areas get the same positioning but without the words about 'taken out' and 'no
impact'.

If your formatter [2] supports it, you could use a flow-map [1] and flow the
block of text into a region that appears only on the first page.

If you had a recent-enough AHF, you'd be able to float the block to the bottom.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham(_at_)mentea(_dot_)net
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming
       Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fafm
[2] IIRC, you are using a not-current Antenna House version?
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#common-absolute-position-properties