xsl-list

Re: [xsl] FO. Designing a title page. Laying out blocks.

2014-02-10 06:27:39
On Mon, February 10, 2014 11:17 am, Kerry, Richard wrote:
I think a good way to progress this is to design the title page in XSL-FO
and then work out how to reverse engineer it into the stylesheets, so
that's how I'm trying to do it.  I've taken the FO as produced by the
DocBook stylesheet and formatted it to put in some indentation to make it
easier to work on, and now I'm altering the static-content corresponding
to the title page.

In particular I need to get a couple of plain coloured rectangles on the
page.
They need to ignore the margins, ie to extend to various of the edges of
the page, and to appear behind the footer (and the header if there was

XSL-FO 2.0 was to define a bleed-box [2] for cases like this.

one).

Make sure to not set any margins on the fo:simple-page-master.

As far as I can tell the only way to do this is using fo:block-container
with @position=fixed.  And the z-index set if necessary to ensure it

absolute-position="fixed"

To get any bleed that you might be able to get anyway, use
'overflow="visible"' [3] on the fo:region-before (or whatever) and
position your fo:block-container for the coloured block by specifying one
corner that is not on the edge of the page as well as a width and/or
height that is larger than the distance to the edge(s).

appears to be behind the footer.
- Also, how do I get a block to be at the bottom of its containing block
(or block-container) ?

display-align="after" [1]

Regards,

Tony Graham
tgraham(_at_)mentea(_dot_)net
Consultant                                       http://www.mentea.net
Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C    XML Guild member
Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#display-align
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20/#bleed-box
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#overflow