xsl-list

Re: [xsl] When to use text()

2014-03-21 11:00:55
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber(_at_)contrext(_dot_)com>
wrote:
What is the alternative? Invent new terms for all concepts for which a
common term would be appropriate?

It is simply the case that in all technical standards there will be jargon
uses of common terms. It is not reasonable or realistic to expect
otherwise. It is not realistic or reasonable to expect to not have to look
things up to learn or be reminded of the specific meaning of something in
a standard.

As to what is reasonable,  my starting benchmark would be how many
programmers have ever read a language specification of any sort.

I would factor into the equation the fact that there are often several
layers of online tutorial, textbook, programmers refernce/nutshell
books separating the programmer from the programming specification and
wonder how many of those would include this sort of factlet.