xsl-list

[xsl] xsl-fo and professional publishing

2014-06-13 08:09:47
Hi,

I wonder whether xml + xsl + xsl-fo is a current practise in professional publishing for technical books at least in Europe.

My use case is as follows:
I have home made xml file database with their schema, xsl stylesheets and xsl-fo style sheets that I am currently using to create various output formats such as xhtml and pdf in the context of training courses. This works fine up to now.

Now I would like to use the xml stuff to publish a paper book (300 pages). I don't expect a very large audience as it is technical stuff. I know some publisher are interested but before contacting one of them I would like to have information on the current practise. So my question is:

- is it current practise to develop specific xsl-fo stylesheets for one paper book or is it efficient only if several formats are needed ? - is xsl-fo competitive compared to direct loading of xml files in professional publishing software ? - is there a reference book on the subject of xsl-fo and professional publishing ?

any information is welcome.

Regards

--
Jean-François MAUREL