xsl-list

[xsl] Creating hierarchies from in-line markers

2014-06-27 22:44:26
I'm sure the subject text is obscurely expressed, which may be why I couldn't
find anything appropriate in the archive.

I am looking at epub2 xml in which "structure markers" are interspersed with
general content.  For instance, new chapters are marked with an H2, and the
content of the chapter is on the following-sibling axis, as is the subsequent
H2.  Similarly, footnotes are marked by DIVs, with the text of the note in one
or more P siblings.

In order to make these into hierarchies, I have been using a model like this:

<template match="marker-element[appropriate conditions]">
  blah blah blah
  <apply-templates mode="whatever" select=
   "following-sibling::node() intersect
    (following-sibling::marker-element[appropriate conditions] union
end-element)[1]/preceding-sibling::node()"/>
</template>

and suppressing the "normal" processing of the siblings.

I feel your pain; however, this seems to work. What nicer ways are there of
achieving this?

Peter West

"...for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."