xsl-list

Re: [xsl] How to get access to Saxon processor for XSL 2.0 to install on Unix box

2014-10-30 09:49:18
Hi Catherine,

I've done things like:

#!/bin/sh

# do stuff
saxon -s:"$input" -xsl:myTransform.xsl -o:"$output"
# do more stuff

and Saxon works great. If you don't need to incorporate other Unix-y things
(or you get how manipulate the file system with XPath functions and
extensions), then you can just use Saxon:

saxon -s:inputFile.xml -xsl:myTransform.xsl -o:outputFile.csv

If your server environment has Java installed, you could download and run
the Saxon JARs (available on SourceForge) in your home area - I don't know
that you necessarily need to install Saxon at the system level. I suppose
that depends heavily on your environment.

Good choice on reading material. :)
Hope that helps.

Best,
Bridger

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Catherine Wilbur
cwilbur(_at_)uwindsor(_dot_)ca <
xsl-list-service(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com> wrote:

We currently have the following installed.
        XSLT installed version is: libxslt-1.1.28-2

        XPATH not sure but we are running on libxml2-2.9.1-1

How would I go about getting a version of XSL 2.0 to install for unix.
Only using the xsltproc command to convert my XSL files using an XML
stylesheet.  Systems department said he cannot install 2.0 unless I give
him some third party tool to install.  If I am just using this on Unix to
do my conversion do I need to have Saxon installed or is there something
else for Unix.

Bridger on the listserv stated:  I don't know if you're able to request
additional packages or ports on your Unix system, but Dr. Kay has open
sourced two different XSLT 2.0 processors [1]. They require Java, but they
might simplify your processing.  How would we get these open source XSLT
2.0 processors  ie. Saxon.

Quickly reviewed the chapter on Saxon and it indicates that Saxon requires
Java.  What if I am just using the following command to execute my XSLT
file conversion.  Writing just Unix script to do my processing to pull the
file from another server, archive it, do the conversion, take the converted
file and upload it to a database table.
        xsltproc -o $inputfile $LibrStylesheet $outputfile

I went Amazon and purchased the following used books so I stop asking the
list so many questions.  They just came in so I brought them into office
today to help me.

        XSLT 2nd Edition Programmer's Reference by Michael Kay

        XPath 2.0 Prograqmmer's Reference by Michael Kay

        XSLT 2.0 3rd edition Programmer's Reference by Michael Kay

Ordered on more book not by Michael Kay that was recommended for people
just new to XSLT programming.  In 10 minutes read thru the first 35 pages
of 2nd Edition book.

email <>)