xsl-list

[xsl] XSLT 3.0: Question about the rules for handling duplicate declarations of static variables

2014-11-22 16:03:54
In section 9.6 "Static Variables and Parameters" of the 2nd Last Call
of the XSLT 3.0 specification,
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-xslt-30-20141002/#static-params), the
second of the two additional constraints listed, says:

"... and (b) if the variables are initialized (that is, if the
elements are xsl:variable elements, or if they are xsl:param elements
and no value for the parameter is externally supplied) then the values
of both variables must be identical, and must not contain function
items."

It is not clear to me what is the exact meaning of the phrase "must
not contain function items". I see several possible meanings:

1. Must not contain references to functions. (This seems unlikely,
because a static expression can contain references to functions -- but
maybe just in the case of static variables conflict this is
forbidden?)

2. Must not contain references to any <xsl:function> (an xsl-function
only, not any function)

3. Must not contain a definition of an inline function-item.

Could someone, please, specify which of these three possible meaning
is intended in the above phrase, or if none, then what is the intended
meaning of this phrase?

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev