xsl-list

[xsl] More free-form layouts - side-by-side

2015-01-22 05:06:35
Having sorted out how to get text to appear at top and bottom within a box, my
next requirement that I've not been able to work out for myself is how to get
things side-by-side.

What I want is something like this :

+-------------------------------------+
|+------------+         +------------+|
||A           |         |B           ||
|+------------+         +------------+|
|                                     |
|                                     |
|+------------+         +------------+|
||C           |         |D           ||
|+------------+         +------------+|
+-------------------------------------+

In practice, following my previous question, I know how to get A and C to show
at the top and bottom of the bounding box (ie within any block-container).  So
I am assuming I need to get another block-container within the bounding
container, to hold B and D.

I would assume I need to position (A and C)'s and (B and D)'s block-containers
relatively within the outer block-container.

However, I can't seem to make that work.  I seem to be getting B positioned one
"line" (or block height) lower than A.  Also the block-container of A has
height=0 despite the block of A having a sensible height.

Can anyone advise how to go about this ?

Is there any document available that gives a good overview explanation the
layout control available in FO ?  I don't want to have to ask the list every
time I find another layout pattern that I haven't met before.

I'm setting coloured border properties on all of these which is how I'm drawing
conclusions about the areas things are taking.

Eventually B and D will be images rather than text.  I'm assuming that once
I've got the blocks and containers working with text I'll be able to put the
appropriate image elements in.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard Kerry
BNCS Engineer, SI SOL Telco & Media Vertical Practice
T: +44 (0)20 3618 2669
M: +44 (0)7812 325518
G300, Stadium House, Wood Lane, London, W12 7TA
richard(_dot_)kerry(_at_)atos(_dot_)net<mailto:richard(_dot_)kerry(_at_)atos(_dot_)net>

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for
the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be
secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the
message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer
virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is
virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus
transmitt
Atos, Atos Consulting, Worldline and Canopy The Open Cloud Company are trading
names used by the Atos group. The following trading entities are registered in
England and Wales: Atos IT Services UK Limited (registered number 01245534),
Atos Consulting Limited (registered number 04312380), Atos Worldline UK Limited
(registered number 08514184) and Canopy The Open Cloud Company Limited
(registration number 08011902). The registered office for each is at 4 Triton
Square, Regent’s Place, London, NW1 3HG.The VAT No. for each is: GB232327983.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for
the addressee, and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
receive this e-mail in error, you are not authorised to copy, disclose, use or
retain it. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
systems. As emails may be intercepted, amended or lost, they are not secure.
Atos therefore can accept no liability for any errors or their content.
Although Atos endeavours to maintain a virus-free network, we do not warrant
that this transmission is virus-free and can accept no liability for any
damages resulting from any virus transmitted. The risks are deemed to be
accepted by everyone who communicates with Atos by email.