xsl-list

Re: [xsl] problem with whitespace in mixed content (reverse indentation)

2015-02-27 08:28:36
Wolfhart Totschnig wolfhart(_dot_)totschnig(_at_)mail(_dot_)udp(_dot_)cl wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem with whitespace in mixed content to which I cannot find
the solution. I am hoping that one of you can help me.

Due to imprudent use of indent="yes" on <xsl:output>, the whitespace in
the mixed-content elements of my data got messed up. I'll best explain
the problem with an example.

The following original data

now looks like this:

<text>
    <b>bold</b>
    <i>
       <b>italicized and bold</b>
    </i>.</text>

I have found out how to avoid the indentation in mixed-content elements
in the future, namely by using saxon:suppress-indentation. My question
is how I can return the modified data back to its original form, i.e.,
reverse the indentation. The task can be formulated thus: In <text>
elements, whitespace-only text nodes that are situated between two start
tags should be eliminated, while whitespace-only text nodes that are
situated between an end tag and a start tag should be replaced by a
single space. How can that be done?

I know that I can select whitespace-only text nodes with
test="matches(.,'^\s+$')". But how can I test whether the preceding tag
is a start tag or an end tag?

You are dealing with text nodes in a tree, contained in element nodes, you are not dealing tags. So you need to translate the conditions to one based on the tree model, I think the condition

> In <text>
> elements, whitespace-only text nodes that are situated between two start
> tags should be eliminated,

can only occur if the text node is the first child of an element node and followed by an element node e.g.

<xsl:template match="text//text()[not(normalize-space())
                                  and . is ../node()[1]
and following-sibling::node()[1][self::*]]"/>