xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XPath 1.0 challenge: select all XML Schema element declarations with type string

2015-07-20 13:28:35

I believe that in its most general form this problem doesn't have a
pure XPath 1.0 solution (though it is easy if we are allowed to use
XSLT 1.0).

We either need the feature of range variables, or the feature of being
able to specify a function call as the last location step in a path
expression.

I came to the same conclusion, though I’m always reluctant to say that
something’s impossible. Essentially you need to examine the namespace nodes to
map the prefix to a URI, and that involves a join, and joins are restricted in
XPath 1.0 by the absence of range variables - XPath 1.0 is not “relationally
complete” in Codd’s sense.

Michael Kay
Saxonica