xsl-list

Re: [xsl] XPath 2.0 expression that detects a cycle of references?

2016-03-25 13:20:39
I think you need to write a recursive function to detect cycles in a graph, and
XPath 2.0 does not have sufficient power for this. It can of course be done in
XSLT or XQuery. It can possibly be done in  XPath 3.0, though because XPath 3.0
functions are anonymous, recursion is tricky.

Michael Kay
Saxonica

On 25 Mar 2016, at 16:05, Costello, Roger L. costello(_at_)mitre(_dot_)org

Hi Folks,

This XML document has id-idref references that create a circular dependency:

<document>
   <item id="HF">
       <title>Huckleberry Finn</title>
       <for-more-info idref="MT"/>
   </item>
   <item id="MT">
       <name>Mark Twain</name>
       <for-more-info idref="HF"/>
   </item>
</document>

I want an XPath expression which returns true if there is an <item> element
that contains a <for-more-info> element with an idref reference that
ultimately loops back around to the <item> element. For the above XML
document, the XPath expression should return true. Here's an XPath expression
that seems to work as desired:

for $i in /document/item return
     for $j in $i/for-more-info return
           for $k in /document/item[@id eq $j/@idref] return
                 if ($k/for-more-info/@idref eq $i/@id) then true() else ()

That XPath expression works fine when the cycle is between two <item>
elements but it doesn't work when the cycle is between three or more <item>
elements. Is there a way to write an XPath 2.0 expression to detect a cycle,
regardless of how big the cycle is?  /Roger

This XML has a cycle between three <item> elements:

<document>
   <item id="HF">
       <title>Huckleberry Finn</title>
       <for-more-info idref="MT"/>